Discover how to keep birds off deck railings, pipes, and other rail like surfaces. Choose from a selection of products designed to keep pigeons, sparrows, and pest birds away from railings.
Why Do Birds Perch and Poop on Deck Railings?
Deck railings are the perfect perch for pigeons, sparrows, and other pest birds to scout for food and predatory threads. Your deck or balcony provides a clear view of the surrounding environment, making it the ideal location for birds to perch. Where birds perch, their droppings will soon follow.
Why is it Important to Stop Birds from Pooping on Railings?
Unbeknownst to most, bird poop carries a number of diseases transmissible to humans. Most notable of these diseases are E. coli, histoplasmosis, and salmonella. Not only is bird poop a public health issue, but droppings are also quite acidic. This means if left to sit long enough, bird poop will eat away at paint, metal, wood, concrete and more.
Note: It is important to clean away nesting materials and droppings thoroughly before installation of products.
What Deterrents Keep Birds Off Deck Railings?
There are several methods to keep birds away from deck railings, but the most effective solution is to install a deterrent that physically stops the bird from sitting comfortably on the rail. These products are classified as ledge products. Although ledge products are mainly made for flat surfaces, some can be adapted to use on curved circular railings.
It’s important to understand that there are products designed for pigeon sized birds and there are products designed to stop smaller birds such as sparrows. You can find these options below.
Pigeon Deterrents for Railings (Pigeons and Larger Birds)
The following ledge products are designed to stop pigeon sized birds or larger from perching on rails. If you have issues with small birds, make sure to read through to the next section below. Bird Wire & Bird Spikes are two of the most popular products used for decks, balconies, and hand railings.
The Bird Wire system prevents pigeon and seagull sized birds from keeping a stable footing on the rail with stainless steel posts and nylon coated steel wire. Birds wire is hard to see making it perfect for residential and commercial applications. Attachments for Bird Wire allow this deterrent to be installed on flat or circular railings.
- Stops pigeon and seagull sized birds from perching on railings
- Screw posts down to flat wood railings
- For circular rails use Bird Wire Railing clamps
- Skill Level: medium to high
- Installation instructions and videos are available
Bird Spikes can also be installed on railings with wire ties, but they can potentially be a trip and fall hazard. This is why spikes should be installed with caution.
- Stops pigeon sized birds and larger
- Install with caution, in areas with minimum human interaction
- Available in stainless steel or polycarbonate plastic
- Skill Level: DIY Friendly, easy to glue, screw, or tie down
Small Bird Deterrents for Railings
The following products are designed to keep all birds away, this includes small, medium, and large birds. SpectrumV Holographic Gel Dishes are a fantastic deterrent for those pesky small birds who love to sit on deck railings. SpecV Gel Dishes utilize a combination of site, sense, and smell to repel all sized birds. SpectrumV is great for small, medium and large birds alike, making it a multifaceted bird deterrent product.
- Stops All Sized Birds; small, medium and large
- Sight - Holographic reflection technology creates visual hot spots that scares birds away.
- Sense - When touched, birds do not like the sticky sensation on their feet, encouraging them to leave the area.
- Smell - Proprietary blend of ingredients creates an aroma that is unpleasant to birds making this an instinctive bird repellent gel.
- Skill Level: Easy DIY Friendly, install with silicon based adhesive
Bird Repellents for Deck Railings
If you only have the occasional bird problem, you may benefit from a less drastic measure such as a bird repellent. Avian Block is a great alternative to physical deterrents such as those mentioned above. Avian Block utilized smell to repel pest birds from the area.
- Effectively repels all sized birds
- Uses passive sent technology to repel birds
- Covers 6’ – 10’ diameter area per pouch
- Each bag includes 6 pouches
- Replace every 3 months
- Skill Level: Easily hang pouches from railing
In conclusion, keeping birds away from deck railings is crucial to preserve the integrity of the railing and to avoid health and safety hazards. Bird B Gone offers effective and humane solutions to prevent birds from roosting and nesting on deck railings, making it a great investment for homeowners.
Need A Professional Bird Control Solution?
If you are unsure of which products to use for deck railings, please give our Bird Control Experts a call at 1-800-392-6915. Our team of experts are ready to identify the problem and help find the best possible solution for your deck railing.