The most effective way to keep birds away from outdoor dining areas is to incorporate professional bird control solutions, while keeping the tables cleaned and sanitized. Birds and their droppings carry over 60 know transmittable diseases which can put their customers at risk. The most notable of these diseases are E. coli, histoplasmosis, and salmonella.
Pigeons and seagulls will perch on rooftops surrounding dining tables, waiting for any opportunity to swoop in to steal a French fry. Sparrows and grackles will hide in nearby trees , bushes or bounce around on the ground. The boom in outdoor dining experiences have only increased the amount of bird activity seen across the United States. So, what can you do to keep your outdoor dining area bird free?
Note: It is important to clean away nesting materials and droppings thoroughly before installation of products.
Clean and Sanitize the Area Frequently
The first and arguably most important step is to focus on keeping the dining area bused and cleaned. Food and water are the main reason birds are attracted to dining areas. No matter what bird control methods you incorporate into your program, leaving food scraps will keep those birds coming back.
Excluding Birds from Outdoor Dining Areas
Exclusionary products such as bird netting can be used to screen off areas, while keeping the feel of an outdoor environment. Professionally installed bird net will allow sunlight and wind to pass through the mesh, comforting patrons during their dining experience. Netting will be the most effective form of bird control.
- Netting works for All bird species; small, medium, and large birds
- Allows sunlight and air to pass through easily
- Tent off outdoor dining areas to protect dining patrons
- Contact Bird B Gone for Authorized Installers of Netting
Bird Repellents for Outdoor Dining Areas
If netting is not possible, the next best solution will be to incorporate bird repellents into your dining area. Avian Block Bird Repellent Pouches are perfect for hanging around dining tables, canopies, umbrella shades and more. These repellent pouches use the active ingredient methyl anthranilate, a food grade grape seed extract, to repel unwanted birds. To humans Avian Block Pouches have the pleasant aroma of grapes but to pest birds it causes an irritating sensation that repels them from the area. If you find birds are roosting in bushes or trees on the property, be sure to hang a couple of these pouches to discourage scavenging birds.
Avian Block Repellent Pouches
- Repels all sized birds
- Covers 6’ – 10’ diameter area per pouch
- Each bag includes 6 pouches
- Replace every 3 months
- Has a pleasant grape aroma
- Skill Level: Easily hang around dining areas to repel birds
SpectrumV Gel Dishes
- Deters all bird species
- Place Dishes on flat ledges, fences, or anywhere birds like to perch
- Sight - Holographic reflection technology creates visual hot spots that scares birds away.
- Sense - When touched, birds do not like the sticky sensation on their feet, encouraging them to leave the area.
- Skill Level: Easy DIY Friendly, install with silicon based adhesive
Stainless Steel Bird Spikes
- Effective for Pigeon and Seagulls
- Install spikes on buildings surrounding outdoor dining areas birds roost on
- Available in stainless steel or polycarbonate plastic spikes
- 10-year manufacturer warranty for Stainless Steel Spike
- Skill Leve: Easily glue or screw down spikes to roof ledges
If you are unsure of which products to incorporate into your outdoor dining area, please give our Bird Control Experts a call at 1-800-392-6915. Our team of experts are ready to identify the problem and help find the best possible solution for your outdoor dining experience.