Effective Bird Control for the Food Production/Storage Industry
Food manufacturing plants have long had problems with pest birds. When birds enter through open doors and loading docks, they tend to roost or nest in rafters above food production or storage sites. This leads to bird droppings falling from rafters and other lofty areas to contaminate food production or stored product. Equally problematic are the dried, bird dropping spores that can make their way into ventilation systems. These can easily contaminate food production and handling surfaces, packaging, and even food.
Birds Nests & Droppings Carry Diseases
Birds can pose a significant health risk. The bacteria, fungal agents and ectoparasites in droppings and nesting can carry any of 60 diseases--including histoplasmosis, encephalitis, salmonella, meningitis, and toxoplasmosis, even the West Nile virus. In just the last five years, countless food manufacturing sites have faced stiff fines for the presence of birds and bird droppings. In some cases, health inspectors have closed food plants for days or even weeks.
Damaging Bird Droppings
The acidic nature of bird droppings can “eat” into and permanently damage windows and seals made of rubber, vinyl, plastic and aluminum. Over time, skylights, windows, doors and other barriers can be compromised to let in disease carrying droppings. Bird nesting materials also make excellent kindling, and plants have caught fire when electrical wiring was degraded by bird droppings.
Install Bird Controls Now
Any proactive approach to bird control is better than waiting for the problem to get out of hand. Birds are creatures of habit and will stubbornly refuse to leave once their nests are built. Bird B Gone products have been specifically designed to rid food production/storage facilities of pest birds, humanely and effectively.
Bird Controls to Match Your Need
Every bird problem is different. Bird B Gone can help you select the right bird deterrent based on the bird species, area where they are posing a problem, and whether or not the birds are nesting. Bird controls most often recommended for food production/storage facilities include:
- The Mist Net Capture Kit. Designed to humanely capture and release birds trapped in buildings and enclosed areas, this netting is hung directly in birds’ flight paths, immobilizing birds that fly into the net. Once trapped, birds are easily removed and freed outside. The kit includes telescoping poles for hanging, hook and magnet attachments, a laser pointer and carrying case. The netting is a strong, UV-stabilized lightweight fiber that is nearly invisible to birds.
- Agrilaser Lite® Bird Deterrent. This silent, effective bird deterrent scares birds out of facilities and warehouses. Developed in cooperation with farmers and scientists, the Agrilaser uses green laser technology with a range of 1,000 meters. Unlike other bird deterrents, birds will not get used to the laser beam and will be repelled. Birds perceive the laser beam as an approaching physical danger and can be encouraged to fly out of a facility. Will not harm birds.
- Bird Net 2000. Recommended for excluding pest birds from overhangs, rafters and other semi-enclosed areas of a food processing or storage facility, Bird Net 2000 3/4” mesh netting creates a physical barrier that won’t allow birds to land or nest. The netting is easy to install using Bird B Gone’s complete line of professional grade installation hardware.
- Stainless Steel Bird Spikes. These virtually indestructible spikes come in two-foot sections and different splay widths to keep pest birds off rafters, beams, and other lofty areas. They feature a patented “bend-and-crush” design, which means the spikes are firmly embedded in an unbreakable UV-protected polycarbonate base. This flexible base bends a full 360 degrees, so it can easily “follow” a variety of curved mounting surfaces.
- Sparrow Charmer™ Bird Caller. This device lures sparrows into netting and bird traps by broadcasting Bird B Gone®’s proprietary sparrow call. Field tested and scientifically proven to attract sparrows, Sparrow Charmer™ is the perfect add-on to any mist net kit or trap. Ideal for food production/storage facilities, Big Box and retail stores, or warehouses. The Charmer attracts sparrows up to two acres away.
- Bird B Gone Sparrow Sky Trap. This hanging trap captures sparrows and smaller birds in high traffic areas. A proven V-top entry design allows Sky Trap to hang from the ceiling or sit on a flat surface. The large 30” x 16” pan captures droppings or other debris that may fall from inside the trap. Includes humane water/feed containers.
If you’re unsure about which product would work best for your specific situation, Bird B Gone has over 80 years of combined experience in the field of bird control. We can help you with product selection, installation and cleanup. Just call us at (888) 570-0360 for a catalog, pricing, or product samples or email us at email@example.com. We also work with a network of authorized installers, call today for a trained bird control professional in your area.